10 KOI BREEDING TIPS FOR YOUR KOI FARM
It’s possible to purchase low-cost koi, breeding koi on a koi ranch can be a financially rewarding business. Koi reproduction could be rewarding in one of two ways: 1) You breed infant koi fish and also sell them when they are much larger. 2)You breed koi varieties for a living. The last can be much harder.
Here are our tips to maximize your breeding no matter why you breed them:
- Keep your reproducing koi well-fed during the month before you try to reproduce them.
- Koi breeding is normally most successful in the late spring as well as early summertime.
- The top quality of the infant koi fish depends greatly upon the high quality of the moms and dads. Beginning with solid, healthy parents and also you’ll wind up with more koi fry that endure till adulthood.
- A Koi’s prime mating age is between 3-6 years of ages, yet koi have actually additionally had the ability to generate infant koi fish till they are up to 15 years of ages.
- See to it to provide your reproducing koi couple some personal privacy when it’s time for them to mate.
- Koi require a location to lay their eggs. A fry mat or comparable gadget allows koi to lay their eggs with self-confidence. Fish reproduction can be difficult like that.
- Your fish pond water temperature level should be in between 60-70 levels F while breeding. Do not interrupt the eggs at this time.
- Keep an eye on your male koi fish during and also after spawning. He could attempt to encounter the lady to press the eggs from her to make sure that he could feed them.
- Make sure to have a protected area for your baby koi fish when they initially hatch. They can’t swim as well as are prone to predators. Use a great mesh to secure them and prevent them from getting drawn into the fish pond filter.
- Reproducing koi can be a good little side business. Koi can mature as much as a foot in about two years, at which point they could fetch up to $100 each. Purchase 20 inexpensive koi fish at PetSmart.com as well as cash in for 2 grand two years later on. Not a bad method to make some added cash money while being around your fish.